I know, I’m Greek and we do love a cuke. A Fo’ REAL Greek salad (like if you got one in Greece) is only cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, olive oil and maybe some fresh herbs sprinkled a top. I add cucumber to my AM green juice to “smooth” out the taste, but I always thought of it as “just a filler” with little health benefit… WRONG! Below are 10 benefits of using cukes in your diet and in your life!
- Vitamin B – Cukes contain loads of Vitamin B which helps maintain your nerve and red blood cells health. Vit B is also crucial in converting carbs to glucose in the body which is how our bodies create energy. YAY!
- Hydration – Cucumbers are 95% water, keeping the body hydrated (you KNOW how I feel about hydration) while helping the body eliminate toxins.
- Skin & Hair – The skin of the cucumber can be used for our own skin irritations and sunburns. Place a slice over puffy eyes (like you’re in the spa), its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce puffiness. Also, the silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth. Mash up a cucumber (in a Cuisinart is best) and use the mash to rub onto your hair and scalp. You can leave for 20 minutes then rinse out.
- Cancer fighters – Cucumbers contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol; lignans that have been proven in research studies with reduced risk of several cancer including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
- Vitamin C – By leaving the skin on (a medium size cuke) you get up to 10% of your daily recommended Vitamin C.
- Bad Breath (Eww) – The phytochemcials in cukes kill bacteria responsible for causing bad breath. Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds,
- Hungover? No More! – To avoid a morning hangover (hurts so bad these days!) eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache. (HINT: forego that “last” drink of the night…you REALLY don’t need it)
- WEIGHTLOSS – Cukes are low calories and high water content…an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding digestion. Also, eating cucumbers daily can remedy chronic constipation.
- Diabetes, Cholesterol & Blood Pressure – Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the pancreatic cells for producing insulin which research has proven to help diabetics. Thanks to more research, scientists found that a compound called sterols in cucumbers may help reduce cholesterol levels. Cucumbers contain a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber which effectively regulate blood pressure (GOOD for hight and low pressure).
- Joint Health – We gotta keep you moving for a LONG time and cucumbers contain an excellent source of silica, known to promote joint health by strengthening connective tissues.
Loads of good stuff in these little green numbers…go to your farmers market to day and grab a few. Chop ’em, put ’em in your water, chew on ’em before you hit the gym or go to bed and know you’re fillin’ up and losin’ weight!
YOU ARE FIERCE!
I’m starting a COUNTDOWN 2CABO …24 DAYS!