As it is fondly called by most, the ketogenic diet or keto diet is generally a low carbohydrate food that helps with weight loss in the body and useful in medicine to curtail epileptic fits in people. However, research has found it to be most effective in children. Today, when you search on weight loss, the keto diet always pops up, giving rise to the question, “what is a keto diet?”, “are mushroom keto friendly?”
The Mushroom as a Ketogenic Food
The mushroom is one of the healthiest vegetables to eat as a low carb food. The mushroom is a vegetable with a creamy texture, one of the healthiest you can eat on a keto diet. The mushroom is a vegetable low in carbohydrate, calories, and fat, making it essential to include a keto food in your recipe. The mushroom consists of vitamins that are good for the body.
The mushroom is made up of fiber and is also rich in potassium, magnesium, zinc, and folates. Mushrooms can be included. In your salad, it can also be used to prepare the mushroom soup. Its low carbohydrate contents make it an ideal go-to when you are on a keto diet as the mushroom is a vegetable you can eat to speed up your weight loss process.
Reading more: Keto 101: How to start a keto diet
Nutritional Composition of the Mushroom
The mushroom consists of total fat of 0.3g and saturated fat of 0.1g, polyunsaturated fat of 0.2g monounsaturated fat of 0g. The mushroom is also low in cholesterol as it contains 0g of cholesterol.
It consists of 5mg of sodium and 318mg of potassium also consist of a total carbohydrate of 3.3g the dietary fiber present in the mushroom is 1g, the total sugar content is 2g, the mushroom is a bit high in protein as it contains 3.1g of protein the mushroom is rich in vitamins as it contains Vitamin A and D also it contains calcium necessary for healthy bones.
Benefits of Mushroom
- The mushroom is a vegetable high in nutritional content. There are many species of mushroom, although not all mushroom is edible, the edible ones are listed below
- Button, Oyster, porcini, and chanterelles. However, many species cannot be eaten as it can cause vomiting stomach upset, and some can be more dangerous; an example of that is the death cap mushroom. The mushroom is an ideal diet for keto as any diet to be included in a keto recipe should be a low carbohydrate diet and the mushroom fits perfectly into that description making it an ideal vegetable to go to when you are on keto diet. The mushroom as many nutritional benefits some of which will be discussed below
- The mushroom can protect you against cancer as it possesses some therapeutic effects that can help the body to lower cholesterol most especially in overweight adults, it also helps to protect the heart as it helps to regulate and maintain a healthy blood pressure and circulation around the body.
- The mushroom also helps to reduce calories level, thereby making it a good idea in your keto diet, especially when you are looking to reduce your body weight
- The mushroom contains protein and fiber also vitamin B, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps in boosting the immune system and also prevent damage in tissues and cells
- The mushroom consists of copper that is useful in making red blood cells essential to transporting oxygen around the body.
Reading more: How Does the Keto Diet Work?
Mushroom as a Keto Recipe
The mushroom is a low carb, which means it’s a great recipe for a keto diet naturally.
Keto Garlic Mushroom
The keto garlic mushroom is a meal rich in nutrients and, at the same time, very yummy, a perfect fit for your keto recipe.
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of sea salt flakes
- ¼ tbsp of ground pepper
- 1 pound of button mushroom
- 3tbsp of butter
- 2tbsp of parsley chopped
- Place a large non-stick pan over high heat
- Add oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sauté until fragrant
- Add mushroom and mix
- Stir mushroom and add butter 1tbsp at a time, allow to melt. Coat mushroom
- Once the mushroom starts to release liquid, reduce heat and occasionally stir till all liquid evaporates and the mushroom is a deep brown color
- Remove from heat mix with parsley, then serve.
Reading more: How to be in Ketosis Faster
Keto Stuffed Mushroom
This is a highly nutritious meal that will have you licking your fingers.
- 12 mushrooms
- 2tbsp of butter
- 8 oz. bacon
- 9 oz. cream cheese
- 3 tbsp of fresh chives finely chopped
- 1tbsp of paprika powder, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F grease medium size dish with butter
- Fry bacon till crisp, crush and save bacon fat
- Chop mushroom stem sauté in bacon fat, add butter if need be
- Place mushroom in a greased dish
- Mixed bacon crumbled and fried in a bowl, chopped mushroom stem and remaining ingredients add some mix to mushroom
- Bake for about 30 mins till mushroom turns golden brown.
The ketogenic diet or keto diet is something you see on most sites preaching weight loss without exercise today. The keto diet was first introduced as a cure for epilepsy. Still, upon closer study, it was found to contain numerous health benefits, which led to the keto diet’s popularity. And now, most people on the journey to weight loss prefer to use the keto diet.
The keto meal plan is a high-fat low carbohydrate and adequate protein food used majorly in medicine to treat epileptic patients. This particular meal plan forces the body to run on ketones by burning fats instead of carbohydrates. People also come in contact with the word ketosis when they search on the ketogenic diet. However, some people don’t know fully what the ketogenic diet is all about and also ketosis.
Meaning of ketosis
Ketosis refers to the process the body undergoes when it does not have enough carbohydrates to convert to energy, thereby forcing the body to burn fat, subsequently converting it to ketones that can be used as energy for the body. The keto diet helps to burn fat in the body and reduce body weight subsequently, apart from burning body fat, one of the major reason it helps in reducing weight is the ability of the keto diet to reduce the activities of enzymes that stimulate hunger in the body which makes you eat less, unlike other diets that place restrictions on food making the person crave the food on the long run. When you finally get to eat, you eat in excess, as a result, gaining back all the weight you have shed over time.
Reading more: 5 Types of Ketogenic Diets
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The ketogenic diet is a low carbohydrate diet that is packed with so many nutrients for the body. One of the major benefits of the keto diet that gave it a stage in the limelight is its ability to reduce epileptic patients’ epileptic fits. It can also be used to cure epilepsy in children. Apart from this, the keto diet can also reduce body weight, as earlier stated, by helping to burn fats in the body. Another major benefit is the keto diet’s ability to prevent some deadly disease from hitting the body. It helps protect the body from certain types of cancer and helps the body reduce the risk of obesity and heart diseases, diabetes. The following are the benefits of the keto diet
- The low carbohydrate diet reduces your appetite: One of the worst effects of having to go on a diet is hunger. It is one of the major reasons people give up on dieting eventually when they can no longer bear the hunger’s effect on their body. However, the keto diet can help you reduce your diet and hunger level automatically without having to starve yourself or go hungry. Research has shown that when people eat more protein and less carbohydrate, they end up taking in far lesser calories; cutting your carbohydrate intake can automatically reduce your appetite for food, so if you are looking to reduce your weight without having to bear the consequences of hunger then you can give the keto diet a try.
- The keto diet effectively reduces abdominal fat level: The two main types of fat in the body are the subcutaneous fat under your skin and the visceral fat that stores itself in the abdominal cavity, which is typical for most overweight people. The abdominal fat tends to lodge itself around the body’s organs, which may drive metabolic dysfunction. A low carb diet helps shed this dangerous abdominal muscle; as time goes on, it should lead to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- A Keto diet reduces the risk of diabetes as it helps to drive down the level of sugar in the blood and, consequently, reduces the body’s insulin level. Research has shown that the keto diet help to reduce the level of blood sugar and insulin drastically. One of the best ways to lower the blood sugar and reduce insulin levels in the body is to reduce your consumption of food high in carbohydrates, which can treat or reverse the type two diabetes in some patients, making it an ideal treatment for diabetes patients in its early stage.
- The keto diet is also good for the heart muscles and arteries as it may help lower blood pressure. Elevated blood pressure can cause many diseases in the body ranging from heart disease to stroke and kidney failure. However, the low carbohydrate diet helps to reduce the blood pressure, which will, in turn, lower the risk of all the disease mentioned above; cutting carbohydrate consumption helps to significantly reduce blood pressure in the body, which in turn leads to the reduction of all heart-related diseases in the body.
- A low carbohydrate diet is also a great form of therapy for a brain disorder; a significant part of the brain can burn ketones, which occur when the body’s carbohydrate intake is generally low. This is the working mechanism behind the ketogenic diet, popularly known as ketosis, which has aided the treatment of epilepsy in children, especially when it comes to people that are not responding positively to drugs. In most cases, the keto diet can cure these children of the disease. The keto diet has proven to be beneficial in treating children with epilepsy and reducing the risk of other dangerous diseases in medicine.
Related Buyer’s Guide: