Is Sour Cream Keto? Levels Of Carbs Found Sour Cream
The ketogenic diet aims to reduce carbohydrate intake and increase the fat intake in its place. It is basically geared towards making the body a fat burner for energy instead of the usual sugar burner. Such a nutrition plan drives the body into a fat-burning state and kick-starts weight loss. Furthermore, eating low-carb foods could potentially provide relief from chronic disease symptoms.
Is Sour Cream Keto? Sour cream is a fermented dairy product. Generally, the nutrition facts label says that 20 percent of M.F. sour cream is high in fat (around 86 percent of total calories) and low in carbohydrates (around 9 percentage total calories).
Therefore, this little nutrient calculation makes it a keto-friendly product. If you are not sensitive to lactose, sour cream would be a great addition to your everyday keto diet meal plan.
How To Buy The Best Keto-Friendly Sour Cream?
Sticking to the gruesome keto-diet boundary is not enough when it comes to achieving ketosis. You have to be extra vigilant when going around a grocery store in search of the keto-approved food items on your lists.
Tossing just about anything labeled keto-friendly in your shopping cart won’t help you out in keeping your promise towards dedication to it. Dairy products are known to be the most tasking item that throws keto devotees off their balance the most, especially when it comes to picking up the right sour cream.
When you are in the grocery store for keto-friendly sour cream, there are steps you must follow to prevent you from falling victim to products that are not keto-friendly. This is why I have provided a list of tips to guide you through your selection of keto-friendly products.
Things To Consider When Buying The Best Keto-Friendly Sour Cream?
- Avoid artificial sweeteners. As artificial sweeteners are cheerleaders for carbs, using a sour cream with this ingredient will boost up your carbohydrate intake which in turn will truncate your process of achieving a ketosis state.
- Favor non-GMO and no preservatives tags on the packaging. You should know that studies on GMO products are controversial and that scientists and consumers debate regarding possible health and environmental risks from the cultivation and consumption of genetically modified food are still ongoing.
- Opt for high-quality grass-fed organic sour cream and not the other options.
- Look for high-fat but not the margarine produced type. Food items like hydrogenated margarine are high in trans and saturated fats and they shoot up “bad” cholesterol levels faster.
- Keep a sharp eye on the nutrition label. You should always go through the nutrition label and should always pick out sour creams with the lowest carbohydrate content.
- Don’t let advertisements push you into buying sour creams that are tagged “low fat” or “low calorie”. Brands tend to bend the rules by adding sugars, artificial sweeteners, and chemicals to make up for the taste and texture loss, they also tend to reduce fat content and curtail the total amount of calories the product actually contains.
Levels Of Carbs Found In Different Types Of Sour Cream
All types of Sour Cream contain carbs, although the carbs level differs. As long as you pay full attention to your serving sizes, you won’t have a problem with calculating your total carbs net down to the lowest milligram.
Level Of Carbs In Full Fat Sour Cream: According to the nutritionist all over the globe, one tablespoon of full-fat sour cream contains 0.6 grams of net carbs. This is the most keto-friendly sour cream you can find, especially if you limit your net carbs intake to 20-30 grams per day.
Level Of Carbs In Reduced Fat Sour Cream: Reduced-fat sour cream contains less fat but is higher in carbs. This portrays a potential danger to your keto diet. One tablespoon of reduced-fat sour cream contains 0.8 grams of net carbs.
Level Of Carbs In Fat-Free Sour Cream: While this is a variety of sour Cream you can enjoy on the Keto diet, you would still need to be careful so as for you not to derail off your track to ketosis as the carbs can easily add up in no time. One full tablespoon of fat-free sour cream has 1.9 grams of net carbs, which is more than triple the number of full-fat sour cream carbs per tablespoon.
Tip: If you are getting a sour Cream produced in the States, a lot of U.S. nutrition labels round up to the nearest whole gram. Which is the reason why you may come across some labels stating 1 gram per 2 tablespoons, for example. If you want to be sure of the carbs netting down to its milligram, you would either need to manually calculate or use my Easy Keto Meal Plan app to calculate the net carbs.
Alternative Recipe Of Sour Cream On The Keto Diet
Another way to make sure adding a spoonful of sour cream to your salad will not boost you out of achieving a ketosis state is by making it yourself from scratch. For this, you need just two easy-to-grab ingredients and they are Heavy cream and Starter culture (also called Lactic Acid Bacteria).
With these two ingredients, whipping up a satisfying batch of sour cream will be made easier and more fun than perusing through the grocery products. The proportion of your sour cream depends solely on the type and thickness of the two products. You approximately use a packet of starter culture for a liter of heavy cream.
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan to room temperature or a bit warmer.
- Combine warm heavy cream and starter culture.
- Stir it and transfer it to a jar.
- Leave the jar for about 16-18 hours at room temperature to give your mixture time to ferment.
- After which your sour cream is ready to be popped in the fridge.
The basic advantage to making your sour cream personally is that you do not have to be troubled about health-destroying additives that might have been added to it. A batch can last up to 2 weeks and can be used for any recipe of your choice.
Keto Sour Cream Recipes
Sour cream adds so much flavor to recipes and helps keep dishes moist. It usually is fantastic for sauces, dressings, casseroles, and even keto desserts. Since sour cream is on the keto food items, you can try it in one or more of these delicious low-carb recipes.
Top Keto Friendly Recipes For Sour Cream
- Keto Beef Stroganoff: Sour cream adds the perfect amount of tang to the savory sauce in this dish.
- Keto Chocolate Cake: Sour cream helps make every slice perfectly moist.
- Caramelized French Onion Dip: Sour cream makes the best dip especially for this snack.
- Keto Sour Cream Cucumber Salad: this pairs crunchy cucumber with a nice taste.
- Cauliflower Casserole: this tastes like a baked potato with all the fixings that include some sour cream.
- Cream Cheese Cookies: including sour cream in this gives room for an unexpectedly rich taste.
- Overnight 7-Layer Salad: this uses a simple sour cream dressing to top off all its layers.
- Stuffed Summer Squash Boats: the sour cream gives your seasoned beef mixture an extra flavor.
While sour cream is a nice keto-friendly product that is filled with flavor and nutrients. It is important to remember that serving portions should be calculated accurately for you not to exceed your carbohydrate intake per day. Full fat sour cream is made from heavy cream and therefore contains mostly fat rather than carbohydrate.
On the other hand, light or nonfat sour cream has a more even ratio of carbohydrate to fat, which is not really ideal for people adopting the ketogenic diet except you are diligently guiding your carbs intake every day. In a stress-free bid to avoid troubles with keto guidelines, you should always go for the full-fat sour cream.